We’ve just put our Halloween costumes away and it’s already time to think about Christmas parties. Whether you love them or not, there is no escaping the glitter and mistletoe at this time of year. Be it at home, with friends or family, or with your highly inebriated boss, you will most probably make it to at least one. So, we’ve put together a quick list of things that’ll ensure your guests leave your Christmas with a smile on their faces, feeling festive and looking forward to the next one…
4 Basic Elements of A Great Christmas Party
1. The Theme
Yes, of course it’s going to be Christmas-themed. But a few sprigs of mistletoe, eggnog and glitter on the table is not going to quite cut it. Want to make it stand out from all the other Christmas events? How about a Hawaiian Christmas party? 80s? Aliens? Zombies? Whatever rocks your boat. Make sure your entertainment ties in with the theme, and enhances it! Have some themed props for those guests who forget/choose to forget that it´s a themed party, and that then want to join in the picture fun!
2. The Food
Everyone has been waiting for this moment since last December. It’s time to have fun, not worry about diets and restrictions, and let loose. That being said, one must know their guests’ preferences. If there are vegetarians, it might not be a great idea to just serve meat dishes. Everyone should have a great dinner, so be prepared to build your menu to cater to vegans, coeliacs, lactose-intolerants so nobody goes hungry. Make a point of asking your guests about any of these specifications beforehand, so you can both just sit down and have fun, without someone having to rush out to the nearest take-away to feed a complaining guest.
3. The Venue
This can be a bit of a rat race if you leave it all ’till the last moment. A party needs plenty of room to be a success, but not enough for it to seem half empty. The ideal venue would be reserved just for your own party, although this is sometimes out of budget bounds. Just make sure you are aware of how many people would fit in that space comfortably, and that your guests won’t have to sit hunched over the tables, and have to queue up for the bathroom. It should also be easily accessible my public transport, or have a cab or bus service, so guests can have fun and enjoy themselves without having to worry about the drive home.
4. The Entertainment
This can make or break a party and we understand it can be difficult to find something unique year on year. So here are some of our suggestions to help you give your event that “wow” factor!
- Eventstagram’s social media slideshow, with one of our Christmas themes! All your guests’ pics will appear on a screen in seconds, and they all get collected on our view page. There is nothing more entertaining than looking back through the pictures!
- Have a photo booth installed where people can easily snap pictures of themselves having fun. This can be linked up with the slideshow, to show everyone’s funny pics on large screens!
- Music is a must. Watching your boss dancing in an innovative fashion on the table will be the highlight of the party! There must be a dance area, and a list of funny and well-loved songs, bursting with the promise of ridiculous moves.
- A candy bar. There has to be a candy bar…
- Bouncy castles, life-size chess or kicker fields, massage and beauty parlors, face-painting, limbo dancing, ice-skating…. Find out what your audience likes and give it to them!
What will you be having at your Christmas Party? We’d love to know!